A Historical Tale
“The Cromlech fell down about the year 1842, the late EWW Pendarves re-erected it. They levered up the top stone with some batons and blocked it up with blocks of wood until it was high enough to slide it in place. The tomb beneath the cromlech does not seem to have been excavated, perhaps due to the dangerous state of the capstone, which must weigh at least 10-15 tons. The late Mr. Tripp, a farmhand, discovered a long narrow pit sunk by the cromlech in the early hours of the morning. It was supposed that someone had a dream or vision of buried treasure.”
Johnny Arthur (1860-1940)
Its collapse came in 1842 and the monument was re-erected “by workers on the Pendarves Estate and local people, galvanised by Mrs Pendarves”. The monument features in plans, photographs and drawings made in the 19th and early 20th centuries, but in 1966 it fell down again, during an alleged earth tremor.